close
close

This Leeds United starlet has already built up strong bond with new transfer target – View

This Leeds United starlet has already built up strong bond with new transfer target – View

This Leeds United starlet has already built up strong bond with new transfer target – View

SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND – NOVEMBER 08: Viktor Johansson of Rotherham United during the Sky Bet Championship match between Sheffield United and Rotherham United at Bramall Lane on November 08, 2022 in Sheffield, England. (Photo by James Gill – Danehouse/Getty Images)

Leeds United are said to be interested in signing Rotherham United goalkeeper Viktor Johansson this summer, and he’s already built a relationship with Leo Hjelde.

As Leeds gear up for their return to the Championship and hopeful promotion bid, they are going to not only lose key players, but replace them either youth youngsters or shrewd signings.

Links have already emerged from far and wide with regards to several positions, and Leeds may be eyeing an impressive goalkeeper from last season.

Viktor Johansson to Leeds?

Football League World have reported this week that internal discussions are underway about signing a new goalkeeper, as Illan Meslier’s future seems to lie elsewhere.

The name heading up the report is Rotherham United’s Viktor Johansson, after the Swede had a stellar season for the Millers that contributed to their survival, with 13 clean sheets to his name.

Johansson penned a contract extension until 2025 back in January, but a move from South to West Yorkshire might be something that tempts him as Leeds weigh up an approach.

He’s already formed a relationship with Hjelde

Also at Rotherham during the 22/23 season was Leeds’ talented teenage defender Leo Hjelde, who moved to the New York Stadium for the second half of the season.

See also  Jimmie Johnson balances new challenges…on and off the track

His form with the Millers was up and down as expected, but his character was commended while playing for Rotherham, especially by Johansson.

Speaking to the Yorkshire Evening Post, the Swedish keeper said this about him:

“He’s very mature. I spoke to him about this the other day, he sees play seconds before it happens, he knows everything before it actually happens which is a very good ability to have so young. He’s so much older than he actually is, on the pitch.

“He’s learning the other side of the game as well. The toughness, he’s learned that quite a bit, it’s toughened him up. He’s winning his headers, clearing balls, doing that side for us.”

Hjelde featuring on Johansson’s end-of-season Instagram post

In terms of their bond as fellow Scandinavians, there is a lot for the pair to talk about in their native languages, that Johansson also alluded to in the same interview:

“He speaks Norwegian to me, and I speak Swedish to him. So, we understand each other probably 60-70% of the time, and then the other 30% we just laugh at each other.

“But he works fine, it’s helping me loads as well, you know even when it’s just us two, we can chat in our own language.

“It feels like going back in time in a changing room back home, when you’re 13-14 chatting just weird stuff.

“I think that just helps settling as well.”

Will Leeds get promoted in 2023/24?

  • June 25, 2023